Argentine navy calls off search for survivors from missing submarine

Argentine navy calls off search for survivors from missing submarine

"We will continue the search. there will not be people saved".

Argentina has ended a rescue operation for 44 crew members aboard submarine that went missing on Nov. 15, but it will continue the search for the sub, the Navy informed Thursday Nov. 30.

Balbi said that after extending the mission to "more than double the number of days than it would have been possible to rescue the crew", the search for the submarine would be scaled back to the area where the submarine was thought to have vanished, in waters of up to 500 metres deep. The crew had been ordered to return to a naval base in Mar del Plata after reporting water had entered the vessel through its snorkel.

'It's unusually cruel. Every day, it's a new blow.

It was advised to divert to Mar del Plata to have the problem fixed, and the captain later commuincated via satellite phone that the problem had been contained.

Some hours later, an explosion was detected near the time and place where the San Juan was last heard from.

A navy spokesman said this week the blast could have been triggered by a "concentration of hydrogen" caused by the battery problem reported by the captain.

Malcolm Jenkins explains why he puts hold on protests
The owners are scheduled to meet in December in Dallas but might not take up the issue until the annual league meeting in March. That includes $89 million being contributed to both national and local projects over a seven-year period, as reported by ESPN .

The crew only had oxygen reserves to last for about one week.

Among the missing, now presumed dead, is 35-year-old Eliana Maria Krawczyk, Argentina's first female submariner. President Mauricio Macri has promised a full investigation.

A huge sea and air hunt was launched for for the San Juan, a German-built, diesel- and electric-powered submarine which was launched in 1983.

The news service reports that the San Juan had been retrofitted in 2014, which involved cutting the vessel in half and replacing its engines and batteries.

Others took to social media to pay homage to their loved ones.

'He's the most handsome being that God could have put on my path 13 years ago, ' she wrote.

Related Articles