Death toll from Guatemala volcano eruption rises to 99

Death toll from Guatemala volcano eruption rises to 99

Authorities also increased the death toll from Sunday's eruption by five on Tuesday, to 75.

"The government and people of Guatemala are in our thoughts and prayers", he said.

Today, it was clear that the official death toll was sure to climb and fears spread that anyone still stuck in the buried houses was dead and would remain entombed there.

Rescuers resumed the search today, and Associated Press reporters saw them recovering remains. But late in the afternoon, the country's disaster agency announced it was suspending the search again because of flows of volcanic material and falling rain.

Within 24 hours of the first eruption over the weekend, Shriners says an emergency medical team from its Galveston hospital was sent to provide care in Guatemala, where they've been working for days.

A thick layer of still smoldering ash and volcanic rock blanketed the tiny hamlet of San Miguel Los Lotes, with only the roofs of some homes sticking out.

Pyroclastic flows swallowed the rural town of San Miguel Los Lotes.

"The bodies are already charred", the 59-year-old truck driver said. What was once a collection of green canyons, hillsides and farms was reduced to grey devastation by fast-moving avalanches of super-heated muck that roared into the tightly knit villages on the mountain's flanks.

The Fuego eruption is said to have been the biggest in more than 40 years, forcing Guatemala's global airport to close.

"In a matter of three or four minutes the village disappeared", Mr Castillo said.

75 killed, 192 missing after Guatemala’s volcano spews more ash & mudflows
After the eruption, people say they had to build an impromptu bridge over hot ashes to try and get the injured the help they need. The death toll locally on Wednesday morning was 75, though this was expected to be revised upwards during the day.

Before he and his family were ultimately rescued, they managed to make their way to an upper floor of a concrete home. After a cellphone call to Castillo's brother, rescuers arrived and brought the family to safety.

Hernandez and her husband, Francisco Ortiz, survived because they moved out of Los Lotes just two months ago to begin a new life on a small plot of land.

"Nobody wants to go back there". "They are taking away our opportunity to say goodbye". "My mother was stuck there, she couldn't get out", said Lopez, weeping and holding her face in her hands. "For us, there is no tomorrow".

Guatemalans across the country have donated supplies and volunteers reached out to those in need. At least 3,271 people have been displaced and 2,625 relocated to temporary shelters.

"We were at a party, celebrating the birth of a baby, when one of the neighbors shouted at us to come out and see the lava that was coming", the distraught woman said.

"The people ended up buried in almost 3 metres of lava", Ortiz said.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from seven communities in the Escuintla area near the summit, as panicked locals rushed to their cars to escape, causing chaotic traffic.

"The sad news is there's a bunch of recovery of bodies of children and adults there". Another 3,319 were in shelters, their homes and livelihoods destroyed. The flag joins with that of Guatemala, also lowered to half mast as ordered by President Jimmy Morales.

Officials said the intense heat of the volcanic debris only allowed rescuers to identify 17 bodies, and others were unrecognizable. 192 more people are still missing.

Related Articles