Saudi-led airstrike kills 29 children on school trip in Yemen

Saudi-led airstrike kills 29 children on school trip in Yemen

In March 2015 Saudi Arabia and other Arab states intervened on against the Houthis, and are continuing to do so. The statement also accused the Iranian-aligned Houthi rebels of using children as human shields.

"God may give us patience", said Hussein Hussein Tayeb, who lost three sons on the bus, on a trip with other pupils to visit a mosque and tombs.

But when asked by reporters whether she saw the need for an independent investigation, Nauert would not say.

Henrietta Fore, executive director of the UN Children's Fund Unicef, said the "horrific" attack marked "a low point in (Yemen's) brutal war".

The World Health Organization (WHO) representative in Yemen, Nevio Zagaria, said it has deployed emergency supplies.

It was unclear how numerous dead in total were children and how many air strikes were carried out in the area, in northern Yemen, near the border with Saudi Arabia. "The attack on civilians is not acceptable".

"We closely coordinate with them", State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.

Separately, a White House National Security Council spokesperson referred to "conflicting reports in global media" and said "we are waiting for an official assessment of what actually happened".

It has launched thousands of air strikes in a campaign to restore the internationally recognised government of President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi. Its airstrikes have obliterated entire civilian neighborhood, including schools and hospitals, and compounded the misery of what is one of the world's worst humanitarian disasters.

Iran sanctions: United States can't stop our oil exports, says minister
A United Nations panel of experts has expressed concern over military collaboration between Iran and North Korea in the past. President Trump pulled out of the nuclear deal in May, calling it "disaster".

"The attack carried out today by the coalition in Saada was against those people responsible for the ballistic missile attack last night ... the allegation [that civilians were targeted] is coming by the Houthis, and it's still an allegation", Col Al Maliki said.

"Today's attack in Saada was a legitimate military operation ... and was carried out in accordance with global humanitarian law", the coalition said in the Arabic-language statement carried by SPA.

The coalition called Thursday's airstrike against the Houthis "a legitimate military operation.carried out in accordance with global humanitarian law".

Wednesday's attack brings the tally to 167 rebel missiles launched since 2015, according to the coalition.

A Yemeni military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Arabic-language al-Masirah television network that the projectiles hit the designated targets with great precision.

The Houthis have however barred without explanation the head of the U.N.'s human rights office in Yemen from returning to the country, a United Nations spokeswoman said on Friday.

On Friday, the ICRC, citing authorities in Saada, said that 51 people were killed in the attack, including 40 children, while 79 people had been injured, including 56 children.

Saada, the main stronghold of the Houthis, has mainly come under air strikes from the coalition in Yemen's war, as the mountainous province makes battles hard for pro-government ground troops.

Yemen is the poorest country in the Arabian peninsula, and the United Nations says the war has created the world's most urgent humanitarian disaster, with millions of people totally dependent on aid and at risk of starvation if supply lines are cut.

Related Articles